The Chinese Proverb about planting trees goes something like this:
The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.
This saying applies to so many realms of our lives, our businesses, and our marketing. If you had planted a tree 20 years ago, you’d be enjoying the shade and fruits of your labor. But what if you didn’t plant a tree 20 years ago? Wouldn’t the second best time be today?
Plant your marketing seeds today
So many of the clients whom I meet with plan their marketing in a reactionary mode. Need sales…react with marketing. They are so busy working in their business…that they forget to work on their business.
What I try to explain is that by planting marketing seedlings now, you might see fruit (sales) in as little as three months. If you persist in your marketing seedlings, your current-month-mode can work toward a great-year-mode.
What marketing seeds can you plant today?
- The best time to update and organize your customer list with email and contact information was 6 months ago. The second best time is today.
- The best time to do a needs analysis with a key customer was 3 months ago. The second best time is today.
- The best time to do create a website or blog was in 2005. The second best time is today.
- The best time to strengthen your relationship with the top 20% of your customers was last year. The second best time is today.
- The best time to write your 2008 marketing plan was last October. The second best time is today.
- The best time to organize your logo, pictures and business graphics in one spot so you have everything you need to quickly create stunning marketing materials was a year ago. The second best time is today.
- The best time to ask all of the people you did business with last year for referrals was last year. The second best time is today.
Do business like you plan to stay in business
Be proactive with your marketing. The sooner you start your marketing with long-term in mind, the sooner the benefits will show up short term. What are you waiting for?
Chris Mitchell is the President and Founder of 25-8 Marketing, Inc, a full service advertising agency in Elk River, Minnesota. He plans and implements marketing programs for small to medium-sized businesses. Mitchell is a consultant, speaker and author and has worked with hundreds of companies. He has over 20 years of real-world advertising experience, and understands the marketing challenges of the small business owner.